Monday, August 07, 2006

Getting Ready for Devon

Where am I going? Where is all of this cheese stuff taking me? I'm learning all that I can in order to start my own creamery. I want my own cheese company. I love the craft. I feel totally at home in the cheese world. I swear, 75% of my thoughts are currently devoted to cheese. How did they get this texture? I wonder what starter they used? I wonder if they'll show me how they did that? I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so I am trying to be like a sponge, soaking up as much knowledge as I can. In two weeks I leave for England again. I am returning to Ticklemore, a cheese company in Totnes, Devon, England. I will be making cheese and house-sitting for Robin Congdon and his partner Sarie Cooper. You bet I'm nervous. It's like someone has handed me the keys to an 18 wheeler and said "You drive!" Sure, I've studied the manual, I've taken driver's training but now I've got to fly solo. Yikes! I can't wait to see what happens.

Totnes is a beautiful Elizabethan market town on the River Dart. Ticklemore is on a hillside, two miles outside of town. The place is "rustic." I'll be staying in their one bedroom apartment that's attached to the creamery. It also serves as the employee breakroom. Robin is letting me use their van, so I be able to get to town and tour around the countryside. The other cheesemakers, Nick and Ben will be there to help me learn the craft. We talked all about music and concerts when we spent the afternoon at Ticklemore in May. Should have lots more to talk about when I return.

So now I must start to pack. I should also look for some cables so I can connect my laptop to whatever I find. Robin doesn't have a computer. This should be a interesting. I hope there's a good, free wifi hotspot in Totnes.

No comments: