Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Getting in shape

In less than a month I'm leaving home. I have finalized all plans for my internship at Goat Lady Dairy in Climax, North Carolina. Three months is a long time to spend far away from home, but I think the sacrifice will be worth it. And guess what? I'll be taking my laptop with me! Stay tuned while I report on life in the Intern House at Goat Lady Dairy. I have no idea what's instore for me when I get there other than a lot of hard work, early mornings, and some good barbecue.

My roommate will be a young woman who recently graduated from college. The age difference doesn't bother me, I just hope she is well trained and well mannered. And don't forget that I am a huge music snob. I don't want to hear jam bands blaring across the fields when I'm tired and hungry (and cranky.) With a bit of luck, she might be into such bands like the Shins, Of Montreal, Tom Waits, or the Decemberists. If she wants to learn all about cheesemaking, I'm guessing she'll be good company. I'm bringing my headphones, just in case.

Why am I going?
Good question. As I review my past experiences at Cowgirl Creamery as well as Ticklemore Cheese Dairy, I realized that I have no idea how to handle raw milk in cheesemaking. Goat Lady Dairy works with goat and cow's milk cheese that are raw as well as pasteurized. Sounds like a good deal to me! I won't have a chance to try their cheese before I go, nor will I visit them before hand. I'm going on faith. They seem like a good operation who support sustainable agriculture. The milkbarn is built from recycled wood from old farms around the area. They grow much of their own food. They support other local dairymen and want to see them succeed, too. Folks who know Goat Lady Dairy, like their products as well as their business practices. It sounds almost too good to be true.

I leave on February 27th and fly into Greensboro, NC via Washington, DC. I'm starting to collect a pile of things to take with me. Books, music, contacts. I'll need a hairdresser. Gotta keep my curly locks looking good, even on the farm! I'm also looking for some good places to eat some real North Carolina BBQ. Just like Vicky used to make. But that's another story.

No comments: